Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Canadian Authors--Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia-
Ernest Buckler----- The Mountain and the Valley, Cruelest Month, Whirligig, Oxbells and Fireflies

George Elliott Clarke----- Whylah Falls (Poetry), Black, George and Rue, Blue, Beatrice Chancy, Trudeau: Long March, Spinning Path; Execution Poems, etc.

Frank Parker Day----- Rockbound, The Autobiography of a Fisherman

Brad Kessler----- Birds In Fall: A Novel; Brer Rabbit and Boss Lion: A Classic Southern Tale; The Woodcutter’s Christmas, John Henry: The Legendary Folk Hero, Lick Creek: A Novel, etc.

Thomas Chandler Haliburton----- The Clockmaker: The Sayings and Doings of Samuel Slick of Slickville, The Clockmaker, The Job, Nature and Human Nature, Costa’s Daughter, The Attache or Simon Slick in England, etc.

Ann-Marie MacDonald-----Playwright and Novelist---Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet), Fall On Your Knee, The Way The Crow Flies, Belle Morale: A Natural History, etc (she now resides in Toronto).

Linden MacIntyre----- Causeway—A Passage from Innocence (Non-fiction), The Long Stretch: A Novel, Who Killed Ty Conn?

Hugh MacLennan----- The Watch That Ends The Night, Barometer Rising, Two Solitudes, Each Man’s Son, Voices In Time, Return of the Sphinx, etc.

Alistair MacLeod-----In Everything There is a Season: A Cape Breton Christmas Story, As Birds Bring forth The Sun and other Stories, The Lost Salt Gift of Blood, No Great Mischief, Island: Collected Short Stories, etc.

Mary Jane Maffini----- Cluttered Corpse, Lament for a Lizard Lounge, The Devil’s in the Details, Organize Your Corpses, Too Hot to Handle, Speak Ill of the Dead, etc.

Ami McKay----- The Birth House

Alden Nolan----- Alden Nolan Selected Poems, The Wanton Troupers, White Madness, Road Dancers, Nine Micmac Legends, The Best Of (Poetry), Between Tears and Laughter, etc.

Anne Simpson----- Loop, Quick, Light Falls Through You (all Poetry), Canterbury Beach (novel), Falling (novel)

Budge Wilson-----Before Green Gables: The Prequel to Anne of Green Gables, Friendships, Oliver's Wars, Cassandra's Driftwood, Our Canadian Girl 02 Trongate Fury, Thirteen Never Changes, The Courtship, Duff's Monkey Business, etc.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Mary Ellen, thank you for this list. A number of readers that are participating in the 2nd Canadian Book Challenge will find it handy as they select one author to read from each province between Canada Day 2008 and Canada Day 2009.

I'm looking forward to your Quebec list!

I'm participating in the challenge this round and decide to focus on writers from west Quebec or stories set in west Quebec. Maffini has set one of her Camilla McPhee stories in Gatineau so I've lumped her in with the west Quebec bunch.

All in fun,

Kathleen Molloy, author - Dining with Death

www.kathleenmolloy.offo.ca
www.diningwithdeath.ca
www.lamortaumenu.ca

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Kathleen,
Your very welcome. I will be posting Quebec, British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, shortly. If you know of any authors that I have forgotten please feel free to send them to me. I have already added you to my Quebec list.
You can find me on the Chapters.ca community. I work at a Chapters store and I am doing a Read Canadian Challenge myself. The one that you mentioned and my own.
Thank you again for your input.

Mary Ellen said...

I will be posting a list of the books that I plan to read for my two challenges shortly. I have already started my list and researched the books that I plan on reading for both my challenge and the 2nd Canadian Book Challenge. I will post reviews after each book. Feel free to add your reviews, as I'd be interested in hearing what others think of the wonderful Canadian Authors that are out there. Hopefully these two Challenges will encourage people to READ CANADIAN AUTHORS!!!!

Vicki Delany said...

What a great idea! I have an internet radio show called Criminal Masterminds that broadcasts on Internet Voices Radio (www.internetvoicesradio.com) every Thursday at 8:30 PM Eastern time. For the next two weeks, I'll be doing my bit by interviewing Canadian mystery writers

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Vicki
Thanks so much. I'm really getting excited about this. My first Canadian read is actually a mystery called Margarita Nights. I'm doing it for my Canadian challenge as well as for an actually bookclub that I go to each month. Five of us girls from work formed this book club. It's wonderful. We make food, discuss the book have a few drinks and a few laughs. We have all read different genres that we would not have normally read on our own. lots of fun.
As for why I'm writing you--a radio show--interviewing Canadian mystery writers. That's wonderful.
I'm sure you already know about this, being an author yourself, but here is a website that you may be interested in.
Here are some more Canadian authors for those of you who like mysteries and crime novels.
Check them out at--http://crimewriterscanada.com/cwc/pages/bios.html
Thanks again for your input and kind words. I think this will be fun.
I'll try and catch your show. Hopefully I'll be able to kick my husband off of the computer for that period of time.LOL!
Mary Ellen